Is Kratom Legal In Your State?
The current legality of kratom remains up in the air. This is disappointing since we know this plant is a godsend to many people. So we will keep this post up to date where kratom is either illegal, banned, or considering banning.
The following states have banned its use, or are in the process of taking actions to regulate or ban it:
- Alabama: As of May 10, 2016, kratom is a Schedule 1 controlled substance in Alabama.
“Kratom, once the law went into effect, it basically disappeared. You can probably still find some in small quantities. Before it was at every gas station in this state. You’d walk in and it would be just racks and racks and racks. So now I won’t say it’s completely gone, but it’s not visual anymore,” Paul Hayes, narcotics supervisor for the Alabama Bureau of Investigations, said.
- Arkansas: Kratom was added to the controlled substance list in Arkansas in February 2016.
“When I heard they’d banned it and the way they banned it, I literally broke down in tears,” Lisa said. “I don’t want to go back to pain medication, and I won’t go back to pain medication. But now that it’s illegal, it’s hard to get. Nobody will send it here because they don’t want to get in trouble, which I totally understand. The way they went about doing it was so underhanded.”
- California: Legal in California, except in San Diego, because of the passing of a local ordinance.
- Florida: The use of kratom is legal in Florida, except in Sarasota County.
- Illinois: Kratom is legal in state except in Jerseyville, and the sale of kratom to minors under the age of 18 is banned.
- Indiana: This is a state that defines kratom as a synthetic drug and it is banned.
- New Hampshire: Kratom use is legal in New Hampshire for people who are 18 and above.
- Tennessee: In Tennessee kratom is defined as a controlled substance and is banned.
- Wisconsin: In Wisconsin the primary alkaloids present in kratom are classified as Schedule I and as a result are banned.
We will keep this list up to date as time goes on. This post will be updated as news comes in. We will also keep you updated for kratom news.
For additional information on kratom legality, we recommend visiting here.